Image Map

Weekly Book Round Up #7

27 September 2013



This is the second book in the series that began with The Raven Boys. First up, I've got to just make everyone aware that Maggie Stiefvater is my number one favourite author of all time. I heart her. When she writes, its like magic. Which is awesome because these books involve lots of magic. This series follows a group of friends who attend Aglionby School, and a girl whose entire family (apart from her) are psychics. They team up to help one of the boys (Gansey, that's his surname) in his search for a missing Welsh king. Seriously, it sounds crazy and I'm not describing it very well, but you guys, READ THESE BOOKS. This book mainly focuses on Ronan and the fact that he pulled a raven called Chainsaw out of his dreams. Intrigued?! YOU SHOULD BE.

Nicola's rating: 5/5


 
 
This was a fitting end to what has been a really fun series. These stories are about a girls boarding school, which appears to be normal, but is actually a school for spies. It's basically amazing. Ally Carter is such a fun author to read, the books are genuinely entertaining for adults and young people. This book follows Cammie and her friends on their last adventure, trying to stop the Circle of Cavan from starting World War III. I did find that the ending seemed a bit rushed and manic, but all the loose ends were tied up nicely. I hope that we might see some short stories in the future following Cammie and her friends as they grow up!
 
 
Nicola's rating: 4/5
 
 
 
 
This has been a week of really good books. The Shining Girls really sucked me in, and I managed to devour it in 2 days. This is the story of a time travelling serial killer, and the women whose shine/spark he is determined to snuff out. I didn't find this book to be particularly creepy, and I think its because half of the story is told from the killers perspective. I mainly found it quite disturbing. There is quite a bit of violence towards animals, which I almost find harder to stomach than the violence towards humans, just because there seems to be more cruelty involved. Overall, I found this to be a really intriguing concept and I never found myself becoming bored with the plot. I would definitely recommend if you have a strong stomach!
 
 
Nicola's rating: 5/5
 
 
Whew! Glad I managed to get my 3 books target in this week! I think I'm on 122/150 for my reading target this year, so its going pretty well. Thanks for reading :) xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment