Image Map

Weekly Book Round Up #17

06 December 2013

 
 
Gail Carriger's books are so much fun! She writes victorian steampunk novels with vampires and werewolves thrown in, and if you haven't read her first series, 'The Parasol Protectorate', then you should. This is her second series, which is YA. It's set in a young ladies finishing school, that also happens to be training them to be spies. It's set in the same universe as her other series, but you don't need to have read that to get into this. I love these books, they're so easy to read and get lost in! I did find that this one was a bit slower getting started than I was expecting, but I can't wait to see what Sophronia gets up to in the next installment!
 
 
Nicola's rating: 3.5/5
 
 
 
 
 



This is a spin-off series from the best-selling 'Vampire Academy' books (the first of which is currently being made into a film).  These books follow Adrian, Jill and Sydney as they try to keep Jill under the radar from assassins. For those of you who love Adrian and Sydney as a couple, there will be plenty to keep you going in this book! I enjoyed the lovey-doveyness, but at the same time was constantly waiting for the bad stuff to happen. We've been left with a massive cliffhanger though, and the next one isn't out until next year. BOOHISSBOO.
 
 
Nicola's rating: 3/5






I am so glad to have finished this series. I haven't hated it exactly, but it just became kind of boring towards the end. Daire has to face up to the evil Richter family without her grandmother or Dace. The book takes a loooong time to build up the big finale, which was irritating, and then the finale itself just wasn't all that exciting. I'm not sure whether I'll read anything else from this author. She's not a terrible writer but her books are always lean more towards the spiritual than the supernatural, which is more my kind of thing. I guess I'll wait and see what she comes up with next!
 
 
Nicola's rating: 2/5



 

Ahh Stephanie Plum. This is comfort reading at its finest. Stephanie Plum is a bounty hunter in Trenton, New Jersey. She's spectacularly crap at her job, but this always results in hilarious hijinks. This is the 20th book in the series, but they are short books. As long as you're not expecting much in the way of plot development and you're happy to just go with the crazy (in this one there's a giraffe on the loose), these books are great fun. I'm not sure how much longer the series will carry on, but as long as people keep reading them, I'm sure Janet Evanovich will keep writing them!


Nicola's rating: 4/5
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment