Image Map

Weekly Book Round Up #43

06 June 2014




Emma Donoghue can be a bit hit and miss for me. I've loved some of her books (Room) and short stories, but some of them just leave me cold. Frog Music was a weird in-between, I enjoyed certain aspects of it, but other parts just weren't as good. The book is set in (as far as I can tell) early 1900's San Francisco. The story follows Blanche and her unlikely friendship with Jenny Bonnet, which leads to the end of Blanche's relationship with her long-term lover. Jenny is shot and killed and Blanche immediately sets out to find who she believes is the murderer, and rescue her child. What I enjoy about Emma Donoghue's books is that she researches odd characters from history and writes stories about them, filling in the gaps as she goes. I just sometimes found that this book seemed to drag out the story a bit, which resulted in me losing interest in places.


Nicola's rating: 3/5




1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting story, I've not read any Emma Donoghue so I may have to give this a try! Lovely review :)

    Jess xo

    ReplyDelete