Image Map

Weekly Book Round Up #26

07 February 2014





Shockingly, I've only got one book to review this week! I've been reading the next Game of Thrones book which is super chunky, and I've not had much time at work or at home to get much reading done! I'll try and get it finished next week.

Blythewood is the first book in a new series from Carol Goodman. For me, this felt like Hogwarts for girls in places! Set in 1912, the main character is Avaline Hall. Having lost her mother to a Laudanum overdose, Avaline finds work in a factory to support herself. After a fire destroys the factory and kills a large number of the girls she works with, Avaline is placed in an asylum because of the strange visions she keeps having. After a few months she is rescued by her rich grandmother, who sends her to Blythewood Academy. To outsiders, the school is an elite finishing school. However, Blythewood is actually training the girls to fight 'evil' fae creatures. I did find this quite slow to start, but once I got into it I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The characters are quite clichéd and the writing isn't perfect, but I thought it was good fun.
 
 
Nicola's rating: 4/5
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read much fantasy/paranormal lately, but this sounds like a good one to get me back into that genre!

    ReplyDelete